Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hemidity!

Screams drown out bird songs
As blade meets blade in battle.
I'm a grass killer.


The thing about the summertime heat and humidity is that all outdoor activity has to be done before 10 am, unless you have scheduled a trip to the hospital into your daily planner. I've just spent the past three hours cutting down grass blades and small trees. I had to call it quits when I looked up from my hacksaw and saw the dead members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who then asked me how far away LSU was. I wiped the sweat from my eyes and the image vanished. I'll be spending the rest of the day inside.

Anywho, this incredible heat and humidity can mean only one thing: Fringe is almost upon us. The heat generated by the nerves of young actors and directors and the sweat of their anticipation are only adding to the natural spikes in temperature. I'm looking forward to Fotis's annual "let me sit and read to you" show, as well as the Rampleseed show. There are also shows from Joe Scrimshaw, Matthew Everett, Sara Richardson and Four Humors that all promise to be excellent. I also know that there are 150+ other shows out there. What in the Fringe are you going to check out? What in the Fringe are you performing in? Shall we get a malt and talk about what we've seen? Leave a comment! Or don't.

I should be off. I need to seat myself in front of the air conditioner for a while. Before I depart, here's Today's Joke:
Irvin Mayfield Named Artistic Director of Jazz at Orchestra Hall
The Minnesota Orchestra chose the Dakota Jazz Club rather than its own hall to introduce its first director of jazz on Monday.
Maybe that's because artistic director Osmo Vänskä got hooked on the power of jazz when he played his clarinet at the Dakota. Or maybe it's because the new jazz director, New Orleans trumpeter Irvin Mayfield, performed at the Dakota long before he played Orchestra Hall.
After accepting the position, Mayfield said, "I think there's a huge opportunity right now in a field where there's not a lot of leadership. This is something that the entire country can benefit from, especially the entire jazz industry." Mayfield then began to repeat that sentiment in different variations for the following twenty-five minutes.


Yay!


Tomorrow!

No comments: