Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Youthang!

The summer rain falls
And we dream about the fun
A sunny days brings.


It's a gray day out there, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Life needs its rainy days, as does my lawn. Egads, that grass is brown. I feel bad for letting so many blades wither and die, but what choice did I have? Did the grass expect me to water it? I'm no god. I shouldn't get myself mixed in with the powers of life and death. That's a matter for video games...

Anywho, my raised spirits might also have something to do with the fact that the wife and I paid a visit to the Science Museum last night and took in the Star Wars exhibit. The evening was filled with models of star destroyers, fancy space-type costumes, a short discussion with C-3PO, an attempt to build a virtual spaceport, and a moment of intense staring at the interrogation droid from episode IV. Spooky! As is the case with most boys that grew up in the late 70's and early 80's, I was certain that by the time the 2000's hit, the dreams of personal spaceships, laser swords and blasters, and helpful, British-accented robots would be realities. That didn't quite happen, but the original Star Wars movies always remind me of that innocent hopefulness, which probably explains why I've seen those three movies upwards of a hundred-kazillion times each, give or take a kazillion.
Thus, actually seeing the model rebel blockade runner that first appears in the first scene of A New Hope was quite exhilarating. I recommend checking the exhibit out.
If you're not a fan of the Star Wars, you'll still find some neat stuff, but you'll be pushed out of the way by people like me. Just giving you fair warning.

Although we don't have the cool toys featured in Star Wars, scientists are getting closer to the future. An article on CNN.com yesterday talked about researchers finally demonstrating an invisibility cloak. I think we're all in agreement about how awesome this is, especially for the junior high school boys of the world.

Anywho, I should be off. Before I depart, here's Today's Joke:
EU welcomes Medvedev order to halt war
The European Union welcomed Russian President Dmitry Medvedev's order on Tuesday to end fighting in Georgia and offered to help solve the crisis over the breakaway Georgian region of South Ossetia.
Medvedev confirmed in a telephone conversation with EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana that he had given the order to stop military operations, Solana's spokeswoman, Cristina Gallach, told Reuters.
This crisis is the first conflict between the two nations since 1989, when Red Army soldiers massacred Georgian protesters. Given the similarities between 1989 and 2008 increasing - Russian/Georgian conflicts, Batman and Indiana Jones movies in the theaters, masses of people gathering in Tianamen Square - I can be certain that I will be depantsed on the first day of the school year.


Hooray!


Tomorrow!


Psst! If you're looking to get your Olympics fix but don't have cable or a television, check out NBC's on-line streaming video. I'll be spending this afternoon watching handball, thank you very much.

No comments: