Monday, August 11, 2008

Touchtacular!

When the world's a stage
It offers us all the chance
To practice accents.


It's a fact: I cannot get enough of the Olympics. All the free time that I had this weekend was spent flipping between the different NBC-related stations to watch swimming, fencing, synchronized(!) diving, rowing, bike racing, gerunding, volleyball, beach volleyball, badminton, and gymnastics. Every twenty minutes, the hopes and dreams of nations are put to the test. How can you not become addicted to that? There are thirteen more days of Olympics left. I imagine that by the end of those thirteen days, I'll have a floor-length beard, pale skin, and an almost murderous sense of patriotism. I can't wait!

In other news, an iPod touch made its way into the green room of the BNW over the weekend. I've been trying to not get caught up in the hype and the magic of the iPhone and other assorted Apple products as a) I don't need any of their items (sure, I want them, but that's different), and b) I already have an MP3 player, a cell phone, a laptop computer, a camera, a Nintendo DS, and a PDA (that has been very busy making sure my desk doesn't lift up into space). I don't need any more products.
At least, that's what I thought.
After messing around with the iPod touch's Google Maps program, the internet, and the various other functions (aside from the obvious "playing music" function), I found myself deep within the throes of envy. After a trip to Best Buy, I realized that dropping $400 on a shiny new toy probably wasn't going to happen. Instead, I'm going to check out those websites that offer "free ipods for free." That should work out perfectly.

I should be off. I'm missing so many Olympics right now. Before I depart, two items:
1) It turns out that I'm not the ony one blogging on the internet. George Orwell is posting missives from 70 years ago. Spooky!
2) Today's Joke:
Obama Plans Novel VP Announcement TXT
In the latest sign of how technology -- the Internet in particular -- is transforming politics, Barack Obama plans to announce his running mate via email and text message.
"Barack Obama is about to make one of the most important decisions of this campaign — choosing a running mate," Obama campaign manager David Plouffe wrote Sunday night to backers in, what else, an e-mail. "You have helped build this movement from the bottom up, and Barack wants you to be the first to know his choice
Obama has a new webpage where supporters can sign up to receive email updates. "You can also text VP to 62262 to receive a text message on your mobile phone," it says.
The webpage also allows supporters to text NOSHIRT to receive a number of photos of a shirtless Barack. Texting LOLMCCAIN will result in a downloadable picture of a sleepy John McCain saying "I can has nap?"
Not to be outdone, John McCain has sent out an army of Pony Express riders to deliver handbills to all of his supporters, asking them to crank up their rotary phones and dial Klondike 5 for a special message from the Republican.


Huzzah!


Tomorrow!

2 comments:

josh said...

I saw a clip of Deathrace - Guns, j turns, a hottie, neck snapping - I cannot wait.

Joe Ferrari! said...

Yes. Deathrace is going to be awesome. I'll be blogging about it after I see the midnight opening of it.