Monday, January 5, 2009

Digituned!

The future is here
And it is just small enough
For me to misplace.


I am a fan of music: this is a fact. I could spend hours in the bitter cold if I can bring my mp3 player with me. I would take the city bus for a tour through the innards of a pork processing plant, as long as there are some rocking tunes playing over the loudspeakers. I firmly believe that vinyl records provide the best sound, although I haven't owned a record or record player in twenty years.

Yet, with all this being true, it took me until 2009 to purchase my first digital album.

The entertainment center in my living room is overcrowded with loose CDs and CD cases. I have several CD organizers, all of which are packed with music. Next to the three CD players in my house lay small stacks of compact discs. There's something about the tangibility of the CD that I've never before been able to shake (at least, not since I got my first set of CDs from Columbia House back in the 90's.)

That's not to say I haven't downloaded music before. I have, but it was all free (sometimes intentionally!)

Why the change? Perhaps it could be the new iPod that Santa brought me. Perhaps it could be the free $5 credit at amazon.com. Perhaps it could be the availability of music on-line that is hard to find in stores. Or, perhaps it could be that my entertainment center and the areas around my other assorted radios are disaster areas. All I know is that I am officially an "on-line music buyer" and I couldn't be happier about it.

Now I just need to figure out how to burn these tracks to vinyl...


In other news, the kid turns 4 months old today. According to the interwebs, she should be sleeping for nine hours straight at night. Boy, how I wish that was actually the case.

I should be off. There's a nap that's about to end. Such is life.
Before I depart, here's Today's Joke:
Obama picks former Clinton White House chief of staff Leon Panetta to head CIA
Two Democratic officials say President-elect Barack Obama has chosen former Clinton White House chief of staff Leon Panetta to run the CIA. Panetta was a surprise pick for the post, with no experience in the intelligence world. An Obama transition official and another Democrat disclosed his nomination on a condition of anonymity since it was not yet public.
The official claimed that Panetta earned the position for two reasons: as the former Clinton chief of staff, he had considerable access to intelligence information and knows how the community operates. Also, he killed the other possible nominees for the position in a week-long battle royale that Obama had organized in Hawaii.

Huzzah!

Tomorrow!

No comments: